Saturday 8 March 2008

A rumour


The other day my daughter returned home from school saying did I know a plane had crashed in Swanage Bay?

Now being a Coastguard and working for another Emergency Service, I had a two second panic that "one had slipped under the radar", and for some reason I had missed it, but reassured her that nothing had happened to my knowledge.

Nothing further was said on the subject, until yesterday when my wife's hairdresser asked what had happened in the bay the other day with the plane crash?!!!!!. The "story" is a fleet of ambulances and other emergency service vehicles were seen on the sea front dealing with this incident.

So, I have checked the Coastguard records, liaised with the Police and Ambulance and no one seems to know anything about this incident, have we missed something?????

I do like Swanage and the rumour mill, but on a serious note it perhaps reminds us of a couple of things:

1) If you see anything unusual, please report it to the emergency services, we would rather check it out then pick up a tragedy a few days later as no one reported it.

2) Rumours can cause all sorts of problems, and its amazing how quickly they get out of hand, we do our best to keep everyone informed but you can always ask.

No comments: