Thursday 2 April 2009

Left and Right, versus East and West

Top of a cliff - last Wednesday night

“I’m over to your left” said Austen over the radio. His left or my left?, thought John who then made the very practical point that he should just use east and west instead. In Austen’s defence at that precise time he was hanging over a cliff, neck deep in a gorse bush with a very big dog between his legs.

At the station on Sunday, discussing Wednesday’s job:-

John: “Perhaps we should use compass points, its more professional?"

“I suppose so.” conceded Austen, “But what if we are in a cave in the dark?”

John: “We don’t have any caves”
Austen: “Yes we do “
John: “No we don’t”

Austen: “What about that one at Dancing Ledge”
John: “That’s not cave, it’s a hole in the rock”
Austen: “It’s a cave”
John: “Not a proper one”
Austen: “It’s dark!”
John: “Doesn’t make it cave”

Gareth: “Um…I thought north was a constant- so it doesn't matter if it’s a cave, or a hole in the rock!”
Austen: “That might be so, but it’s still dark and I won’t be able to see a compass!”
John: “So use a torch”

Austen “But I’ll be hanging upside down!”
Gareth “Light works upside down, it’s constant too”
John: “So use a torch”

Austen: “Where am I going to stick that?”

John and Gareth just smiled.

No comments: