A Flood Alert has been issued by the Environment Agency for East Coast of Dorset.
Flooding is possible for Castletown, Weymouth, Preston Beach, Swanage Bay, Studland Bay, Sandbanks, Poole Harbour, Bournemouth Beach, Hengistbury Head and Christchurch Harbour Thursday morning and evening and into Friday morning.
Low lying coastal land and roads will be affected first.
This flood alert effects the whole of the East Coast of Dorset from Portland Bill to Christchurch for both high tides on Thursday 02/02/2017 starting at Portland at 10:00 am and moving along the coast to Christchurch by 04:45 pm GMT. The second high water for Thursday into Friday starts at 10:00 pm at Portland moving along the coast to Christchurch by 03:00 am GMT on Friday 03/02/2017.
The forecast wind direction is veering from South Easterly to South Westerly through the day with gusts up to 60 mph, Force 8. The peak of the winds will be early to mid afternoon.
Expect spray overtopping the beaches and flooding to low lying areas. Please avoid exposed coastal areas.
Stay tuned to radio weather, news and travel bulletins on Heart Solent, BBC Radio Solent, Wave 105, Wessex FM and The Bay.
- Be prepared to protect yourself and your property.
- Keep your colleagues informed about the situation.
- Be careful along beaches, promenades, coastal footpaths and roads.
- Avoid walking, cycling or driving through flood water.
- Farmers should consider moving livestock and equipment away from areas likely to flood.
- Keep an eye on local water levels and weather conditions. Visit the Environment Agency website www.gov.uk/environment-agency for river level and flooding information.
- Call Floodline on 0345 988 1188 using quickdial 04532 for up-to-date flooding information.